Details for City of Forney — Director of Parks & Recreation
JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for directing the city’s parks and recreation programs.
- Administers all programs, operations, and facilities of the Parks Department.
- Directs the planning, design, financing, construction and maintenance of all parks and recreation facilities.
- Assists and advises the city in the development of parks and recreation policies and procedures.
- Prepares and administers the annual department budget and monitors expenditures under the existing budget.
- Hires, trains, assigns, directs, supervises, evaluates, and disciplines department personnel.
- Directs the coordination of special city events, including festivals, concerts, sports tournaments, etc.
- Performs related duties.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of public recreation administration.
- Knowledge of relevant laws, department and safety guidelines, and city codes, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of budgetary principles and practices.
- Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices.
- Knowledge of computers and job related software programs.
- Skill in planning, organizing, directing and coordinating the work of personnel.
- Skill in the analysis of problems and the development and implementation of solutions.
- Skill in operating office equipment such as a computer and standard business software, copier, calculator, and facsimile machine.
- Skill in the preparation of clear and precise administrative reports.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: • Bachelor’s degree in Science or a related field; Masters Degree preferred. • A minimum of three (3) to five (5) years of progressively responsible experience with at least two (2) years of management or supervisory experience. • Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid Class C Driver’s License issued by the State of Texas. • An equivalent combination of experience, education and training providing the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered. The City of Forney is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from eligible and qualified persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin or physical disability.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The City Manager assigns work in terms of department goals and objectives. The supervisor reviews work through conferences, reports, and observation of department activities. GUIDELINES: Guidelines include state and local laws and ordinances, the city parks ordinance, National Alliance for Youth Sports guidelines, and common business practices. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application. This position develops departmental guidelines. COMPLEXITY: The work consists of varied administrative, supervisory, and management duties. The variety of duties contributes to the complexity of the position. SCOPE AND EFFECT: The purpose of this position is to direct the city’s parks and recreation programs. Successful performance helps ensure the delivery of quality programming and facilities to area residents and visitors. PERSONAL CONTACTS: Contacts are typically with coworkers, elected and appointed officials, vendors, representatives of sports associations, architects, engineers, school officials, and the general public. PURPOSE OF CONTACTS: Contacts are typically to exchange information, motivate persons, negotiate matters, resolve problems, and provide services. PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table. The employee occasionally lifts light objects and climbs ladders. WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is typically performed in an office and outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather. The employee may be exposed to dust, dirt, grease, and machinery with moving parts. SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: This position has direct supervision over Parks Maintenance Supervisor (1), Sports Coordinator (1), Parks Irrigation Specialist (1), Parks Crew Leader (1), and Parks Maintenance Technician (6).