Wynne Ranch

KAUFMAN, Texas — A deal to bring 2,400 homes to Kaufman as part of a master planned community on 800 acres of the historic Wynne ranch announced earlier this year has fallen through.

The transaction halted after an announcement in February that an undisclosed North Texas developer was in negotiations with the James Wynne family to acquire 1,040 acres in the city of Kaufman’s ETJ. The two parcels of land included a 240 acre bottom hunting tract along King’s Creek, and 800 acres of ranch property that is located in Scurry ISD.

With frontage on both FM 1390 and Hwy 34, the two parcels sit adjacent to 1,500 acres that the families of James Wynne and son Toddie Lee Wynne IV plan to continue to own and operate. The offering also does not include any part of the nearby Star Brand Ranch, which is separately owned by American Liberty Oil Company and unaffiliated with the James Wynne family according to the Dallas Business Journal.

“We’re currently marketing the property for sale,” Chris Burrow, CEO of Dallas-based Range Realty Advisors tells inForney.com this week. The firm has represented the property since it was put on the market in January 2017. 

The lost developer had planned to bring a master planned community along with an estimated 2,400 rooftops. The property is being marketed for residential development, recreation & hunting, or as an investment hold. There is no word on why the initial deal fell through.

The history of the land is also significant. Toddie Lee Wynne Sr.'s wife's great-great-grandfather, William Nash, was one of the settlers of Kaufman County.

In the early days of Texas, Nash organized a militia of volunteers that under his leadership helped Sam Houston win the Battle of San Jacinto. For his service, the newly formed State of Texas awarded Nash ranch land in North Texas, which includes the ranch property currently on the market.

Members of the Wynne family — Nash's descendants — have lived or otherwise used the ranch for five generations. This is the first time this configuration of the property has been listed since it was awarded to Nash in 1836.