FORNEY, Texas – Forney High School’s former boy’s soccer coach has been charged with failure to report, a class A misdemeanor, in connection to a hazing scandal that involved allegations of sexual assault that was first reported in January 2018.
Kris Duplissey, 41, surrendered himself to the Kaufman County Jail early Wednesday morning. He has been charged with one count of failure to report and is being held on a $3,500 bond.
By law, Duplissey and other school officials who knew of the sexual assault allegations had 48 hours to report those allegations to law enforcement.
According to an arrest warrant affidavit, obtained by inForney.com, Duplissey allegedly knew of the hazing as early as January of 2017 based on interviews with players, parents, and a handwritten timeline detailing when the coach himself had been made aware of the allegations.
Law enforcement wasn't made aware of the allegations until January 17, 2018 — a year after the initial allegations were made, according to the affidavit.
Sources close to the investigation tell inForney.com that the 15-months long investigation is still ongoing and more arrests are expected. So far six former players have been charged regarding the case — Duplissey will make the first Forney ISD personnel to face charges.
In February 2018, KCSO deputies surprised Forney ISD with a search warrant and seized evidence. Investigators obtained a search warrant for the office, computers and phones of Steven Whiffen, Forney High Principal, Tim Cook, Forney High Assistant Principal, Kevin Rush, Forney High Athletic Director and Duplissey. Former Forney ISD Superintendent Suzanne McWilliams was also named in the warrant and probable cause affidavit.
The following month, the district announced Whiffen and Rush were transferred, Cook retired, and Duplissey resigned. McWilliams had previously announced her retirement as superintendent in early January 2018.
“We appreciate the work of the Kaufman County Sheriff's Department for continuing to work toward closure of this situation,” says Kristin Zastoupil, Forney ISD Executive Director of Communications said in a statement released Wednesday. “In light of the pending investigation by the Sheriff’s Office, the District has not had an opportunity to conduct its own investigation, nor has the District been provided with any specific details or findings resulting from the investigation.”
“Despite having minimal information regarding the allegations or the investigation, the District immediately took action to address the concerns that the employees originally reported to the Sheriff’s Office. Upon district administration learning of these concerns, the FISD Athletic Department immediately implemented heightened safety and supervision procedures for all athletic teams and groups, which are still in effect today,” the statement reads.
“We understand that this ordeal has caused a great deal of heartache and pain within our community. Forney ISD recognizes our community is ready to move beyond this difficult experience, and we are continuing to focus on the safety and security of our students, both on and off the field,” Zastoupil concluded.